January 9, 2013

Waiting On: Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (6)











Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature hosted by Breaking the Spine

Title: Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School #1)
Author: Gail Carriger
Release Date: February 5th, 2013
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to finishing school.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is the bane of her mother's existence. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper etiquette at tea--and god forbid anyone see her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. She enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.


But little do Sophronia or her mother know that this is a school where ingenious young girls learn to finish, all right--but it's a different kind of finishing. Mademoiselle Geraldine's certainly trains young ladies in the finer arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also in the other kinds of finishing: the fine arts of death, diversion, deceit, espionage, and the modern weaponries. Sophronia and her friends are going to have a rousing first year at school.


First in a four book YA series set 25 years before the Parasol Protectorate but in the same universe.


[Summary Source: Goodreads]
Please note: I LOVE STEAMPUNK. Most of my friends are like, "What's that?" (Since apparently people have been living under a rock since the dawn of awesomeness.) And that's when I get all enthusiastically encyclopedia-y sounding and tell them all about the glorious premise books like this one are built upon. At the end of it all, I inform them that the "Western" with Will Smith that everyone's seen (Wild Wild West) is most definitely Steampunk, thank you very much.

Shmanyways, you could ask why I'm excited for this book, but the rant above and the beautiful cover pictured even further above should really be enough to explain all of that. But if it's not, I've read 3 out of 5 of the Parasol Protectorate series and I loved them so really the question is: Why WOULDN'T I want to read a YA series set in the same universe?


So what are YOU waiting for this week? Let me know in the comments below!

20 comments:

  1. Awesome pick! I love steampunk as well and can't wait for this one too!

    Nikki @ Books Most Wanted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really need to be more like this one, don't you think??

      Thanks for commenting, Nikki! :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE reading stuff school boarding-related. & that cover's just freaking awesome. Great pick! :D

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't even THINKING about the boarding school aspect when I picked this. That makes me even MORE excited!

      Thanks for commenting, Fara! :)

      Delete
  3. YES YES YES for this book! It's currently on top of my want-to-have list.. Happy reading! :D

    What I'm Waiting for This Wednesday
    My Enormous TBR Pile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully we only have to wait a month! Any longer and I'd cry!

      Thanks for commenting!! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm not a mahussive Steampunk fan, but this sounds like the type of book that I will enjoy :) Great pick!

    New follower :)

    My WOW this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully this book can help convert you to Steampunk lover ;)

      Thanks for commenting AND follwing, Jade!!!

      Delete
  5. I am always up to boarding school books. Nice pick. It sounds great.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I never realized how many boarding school books there are, but now that I really think about it there really are a lot. And a like many of them.

      Thanks for the comment Jenea! :)

      Delete
  6. I've been noticing this one! It does look tempting...and enjoy!

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO tempting. And all the cover prettiness, I can't EVEN.

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  7. I really like the sound of this one and the cover is so pretty! Great pick. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prettier the cover, the more I desperately want to read, I think.

      Thanks for commenting, Baily! :)

      Delete
  8. I also like steampunk, but I don't read nearly enough. I can't wait to pick this one up - and her other series too. It's on my planning for this year.

    WoW at Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There also just isn't enough Steampunk, whether YA or other, to go around. But I have read 3/5 books in the other series and it's very witty and funny and exciting!

      Thanks for commenting, Mel! :)

      Delete
  9. I loved her Parasol Protectorate series so much, I can't wait to get my hands on this one. She's such an amazing author! Great pick. :)
    My WoW Pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have GOT to finish that series. I put it on hold because there were a lot of pretty YA books I wanted to read but I will get back to it.

      Thanks for the comment, Bonnie! :)

      Delete
  10. This one does sound really good! It was actually one of my picks for this week. :) I really love the cover of it. I'm a new GFC follower!

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to see someone else is as excited as I am!

      Thanks for commenting AND following, Krystianna!!! :)

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!