February 20, 2014

Veronica Mars Watch-Along Week 31

[Graphic designed by the lovely Judith of Paper Riot]
So, how does this work, super sleuths? Go check out the Watch-Along kick off post for the skinny. I'll give you a second just in case...

All caught up? Good.

In case you already know the basics and just forgot what episodes are up today, here's the list:
  • "Papa's Cabin"
  • "Un-American Graffiti"
And for NEXT WEEK:
  • "Debasement Tapes"
  • "I Know What You'll Do Next Summer"

I have GOT to stop with this laziness. Next Watch-Along post marks the insertion of THE LAST DISC WITH EPISODES into my computer. THE END IS NIGH. I WILL ACTUALLY FINISH THIS BEFORE THE MOVIE COMES OUT (something I was always scheduled to but, well, laziness).

So I better stop rambling and let you read words related to the Watch-Along, shouldn't I?


"PAPA'S CABIN"
So this episode is about cracking down on the Dean's murder. Which is great, because we're getting to the end of season 3 and I need some closure. It's also great because things are not adding up and it's clear the Dean's wife's hiding something (and not just the affair she was having from her husband). I mean, it is possible Landry killed the Dean but - oh. The Dean found out about the affair and went to confront his wife and threaten Landry. So more stacking up against Landry - evidence that ends in Keith arresting Landry. But this just feels too obvious. 


Now Tim's helping Landry find evidence to clear his name - by sneaking into Mars Investigations to find... things? So, basically, Veronica and Tim are trying to exonerate Landry. And Mindy's buying a boat. So she really seems like the killer but that also seems too convenient and too obvious for Veronica Mars.

Okay. Moving on from this Dean murder thing, Logan and Parker are flirting and Wallace is girl talking with Veronica about this event and Veronica is BEING sassy. I obviously hate the flirting bit but Wallace and Veronica having their adorbs moment is adorbs.

So now we know Landry didn't think highly of Tim. I think that's something. I mean, everything is something in Veronica Mars, isn't it? I just don't believe that Landry or Mindy killed the Dean. That would be way too obvious. Therefore, maybe Tim is someone to watch. Oh, and also now Landry's gone missing after his (fake) alibi popped up - to join Mindy on the run. Only to end in her death. Great work.


BACK TO PARKER AND LOGAN: I love that Parker went to talk to Veronica about this. And that Veronica, in classic Veronica form, weaseled her way out of the conversation. I ALSO love that Logan's trying to hard for Parker and being a better person for her and going to class and Parker's all like, "Sorry man, bros before hos." Oh the tangled web Veronica Mars characters weave. But then Logan goes and sorts it all out - even though it's so clear Veronica is not cool with this.

Okay. A final swing back around to the Dean's murder. The breakdown in class from Tim. Veronica is seeing holes and then finds a bug in her phone. It's interesting that Tim says "Another interesting thing about this case is once a perpetrator starts improvising, the sloppier his work becomes." Because when Tim starts talking about everything in class because someone in the room insists, he's the one who gets sloppy and brags. HA.


BRING ON THE SNARK

Wallace: "I saw Logan and Parker having lunch."
Veronica: "Here?"
Wallace: "Yeah."
Veronica: "In the cafeteria? At lunchtime? God, why doesn't he just run me over with a truck?
Wallace: Man, I'm just telling you this because it looked like it was something, like they were connecting, you know?"
Wallace: "What?"
Veronica: "I'm just trying to figure out which Gilmore Girl you are."

Keith: "Did you talk to the airports?"
Sacks: "L.A.X., yeah, but I'm still waiting to hear from John Wayne."
Veronica: "And you're not gonna, pilgrim, 'cause what I am is dead."

Logan: "Mars."
Veronica: "We're on a last-name basis now? We skipped right over androgynous nicknames?"
Logan: "I tried calling you "Chuckles," but it didn't stick."

Keith: "What you making?"
Veronica: "Meat and potatoes. I read somewhere that's what real men eat."
Keith: "Ah, is there a real man coming over?"

Veronica: "Man. You get everyone to confess."
Keith: "I think it's the uniform. Do you have anything to confess?"
Veronica: "Yes. You embarrass me."
Keith: "Give me my meat, woman."

"UN-AMERICAN GRAFFITI"
I can't. Why did they break up. The episode starting sarcasm is perfect. And then it's ruined by Logan inviting Veronica to the birthday he's throwing for Parker. Lord. Well, I think my real problem with Logan and Parker is: Why. WHY do these people have to keep dating each other. Aren't there other people on campus? Stop the in-group dating.


Okay. Destroyed restaurant and underage drinking. I like that they're doing an underage drinking /racism episode, but I'm already bored. Can we un-wrap up the Dean's murder? So much more fun than this.

Oh Dick. I have missed you. Please be in this show more. AND MAC. MAC IS BACK IN THIS SHOW. Hi favorites, never leave me.


I've also missed Veronica doing sneaky things to get sneaky things, like stealing pictures of this Arab girl with her Jewish boyfriend so her dad won't disown her. And, of course, her father's reaction is what's wrong with the world. Also, bar owners bribing the Sheriff and officers of the law straight up ignoring underage drinking in bars. Wrong with the world for sure. What's not wrong with the world? The guilt Keith just smacked down on Veronica for making her friends fake IDs.


Okay. I was bored before, but I'm really enjoying the social conversation in this episode: the corruption, the underage drinking, the racism, the religious tension, the Islamophobia... I dig it, Veronica Mars. I dig it.

Look. Logan is the best boyfriend ever. Veronica, why could you never embrace this? Although, seriously awkward that Parker gave her Logan's face from her cake. And Veronica really is cruel for jerking Piz around, thanks for pointing it out, Wallace. Also, even though I'm so not down with this relationship: HELLZ YEAH PIZ WENT FOR IT. SO proud of the boy. Although, I still have this "why does everyone in this friend group have to date each other" thing.

And then Logan catches them kisses. Which is somehow more awkward than him throwing Parker a birthday party. I don't know how though.


So, basically, this was the drama episode. Peace out, cub scouts.

BRING ON THE SNARK
Veronica: "It's 8am. Shouldn't you be in a wet suit somewhere?"
Logan: "Early Poly Sci."
Veronica: "And you're actually going?"
Logan: "Yeah. I even bought this amazing pen that accents text in neon colors."
Veronica: "A highlighter!"
Logan: "Lots of advancements since the last time I buckled down. How 'bout you?"
Veronica: "Uh, "Violence in Early Adolescence.""
Logan: "Ah. Need me to autograph your textbook?"

Parker: "Hey, you guys. Thanks for the table."
Mac: "It just takes me back to high school. Remember, Logan? We stood at the same lunch table and made fun of all the fat kids."
Logan: "I'm sorry. We went to the same high school?"
Mac: "Uh, yeah. We ran over that fisherman and promised to take the secret to our graves."
Logan: "I remember the fisherman."
Mac: "Remember? You bet your friends you could turn me into a super hot prom date as a joke, but you ended up falling in love with me?"
Logan: "Nope. Lost it."

Veronica: "Your fly's open."
Dick: "I know. Party ritual."

Veronica: "Why are you looking at me like that?"
Mac: "Sorry. I was afraid you were trying to get back at Logan somehow by coming as Dick's date."
Veronica: "Ew. Yeah, nothing says "I'm over you" like dating down."

Logan: "Now I had this whole "My Super Sweet Nineteen" thing planned for tonight, but, uh, it turns out the hotel has a policy on Bengal tiger rides."

Veronica: "How is it you have so many friends? You don't even like people."
Logan: "And yet they adore me."

Dick: "Dude, you're not going to believe this. Hottie internet chicks found out about each other, talked it over, and they're into it."
Logan: "Into it?"
Dick: "Doublemint, baby!"
Logan: "Are they becoming twins?"

So is everyone cool with Season 3 of Veronica Mars becoming a giant soap opera in the last 6 episodes? Because that's what appears to be happening. Oh well, at least there's still some quality Veronica-Logan tension and great snark.