April 2, 2014

Pick of the Week: The One Where I Lose My Head...


Pick of the Week is... well, it's exactly what it sounds like. Once a week I pick a book. I may pick said book because I'm super excited about it. Or maybe I was super excited about it, forgot how excited I was, and am now using this to refresh my memory. It's also possible said book was blurring in with all the other books in my brain and I want to get re-excited about it. Another possible option is that I just want to flail about a book I'm about to read/am currently reading. Basically, I'm writing a love-note to a book I haven't started/finished yet to build hype for both myself and my reader. Which doesn't sound like a smart plan, but, oh well, too late.

And in case you want more of an origin story, you can check out my first Pick of the Week post.

Anyway. This week I'm picking a book I lost my head over. Have you guessed what it is yet? I am doing a play-on-title thing here, so I'll give you another second of reading to figure it out (unless you've already looked at the picture, in which case you're a cheater, but I suppose we can still be friends).

Ready?

Okay.


So, to be honest, I wasn't super sure what to think when I heard the summary for this book. I mean, a kid having his head cryogenically frozen and then having it reattached to someone else's body? Really? It just sounded like something I'd cringe my way through. But I started reading this morning and I'm really digging it. I think this book is less about the science of it and more about the psychology. Like, what is life like when you've been on pause for 5 years while everyone else in your life has grown up? How do you deal with this? And how do you deal with the fame that comes with being this person who was cut and pasted like this? 

Then again, I'm only on page 30 or so, so I really don't know how the rest of this story is going to go. But I really do get the feeling that it's not about the science. I also get the feeling I'm really, really going to like whatever does happen here - I mean, it's already eating up so much space in my brain that it's my pick of the week!  

(One more feeling I have? I'm probably going to have to go back and read John Corey Whaley's Where Things Come Back ASAP.)

Have you read this one yet? Are you gearing up to read it when it comes out next week? Let me know in the comments below!